Why people love sports betting?
Betting on sports is a very common gambling option and a lot of people nowadays indulge in this. In this form of betting, the result of any given sport is predicted and a wager is placed on the outcome. Sports betting was very frowned upon previously because of the various prejudices of people. However, people have become more accepting of the sport. The main reason behind the popularity increase of sports betting is that people are able to make more conversations on this topic and it is not a taboo anymore. The two major sports which are bet upon are football and basket ball. Another game which is frequently bet upon is Cricket. Although the kind of sports that are bet on and the frequency of betting varies in countries and in cultures. Other common games that are bet on include baseball, hockey, boxing, track cycling.
The wagers are placed legally by the sports bettor through a sportsbooks or bookmaker. A huge number of sportsbooks are available online and are operated over the internet. Sports betting has been seen as a taboo mainly because of the numerous scandals that it has caused which heavily affected the integrity of the sport through acts like match fixing, spot-fixing and point saving.
There are many reasons why people like sports betting
- Well the most fitting answer to this question would be that people love to bet on sports because people love gambling in general. There have been numerous studies to understand this trait of people.
- Experiments on this behaviour have been conducted on pigeons where they were given choice between two buttons for food. One button would give food after every 10 presses and the other button would give out food after random number of presses ranging from 3 to 20. The pigeons have been observed to gamble once they learn the function of the buttons.
- Another reason why people love betting so much is because they love sports. Previously, the competition between groups used to be manifested in terms of wars and battles, but eventually, with the passage of time people have learned to compete in safer mediums such as sports. We love choosing teams and taking sides.
- Another reason why we love betting is because of the excitement and the adrenaline rush inside of us. A simple event like throwing a dice can make our hearts thump out of anxiety and excitement if we have a huge sum at stake.
- Sports betting can turn a boring event into a nail biting proposition.
- There are numerous sports bookmakers available online because of which sports betting is no more viewed as a seedy affair in a smoke filled alley. Anybody can make a wager sitting in their own homes while watching your favourite sport on the TV.
Irrespective of what sports you like or what you think can happen, there are sports bet waiting for you to be placed.